Project 2, Team A4

From ENGR005 2008
Revision as of 16:52, 23 September 2008 by Azhao1 (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

← Back to Bridge Section project page ←

Synopsis of bridge scores

  • α squad score: 2.684 x 10^-6
  • Ω squad score:
  • Current best team score: 1.98 x 10^-7

Team members

Eric Burger

Frances Hunter

Marley Spector

Alan Zhao

Report

  • α squad best design:

Bridgesectionteamalpha.jpg

α squad thought that the strongest design would probably involve triangles. We started with a design of roughly equilateral triangles with the bottoms and tops alternating. We then decided that having all the triangles long and thin, with the pointed ends upwards, would probably distribute stress towards the restraints more effectively. These ideas, when implemented, resulted in a very high surface area. To mitigate the problem, we removed the sections between several of the triangles, making long, skinny parallelograms instead. Finally, we used the sketch fillet tool on most of the corners, to decrease the strain in those areas. We also experimented briefly with a second line of horizontal braces across the middle, but it increased the surface area too much and didn't reduce the displacement much. α squad's final design is shown above.

Ω squad began on the idea that the curve or circle should be the basis for the best design. We started by making a curved bridge, somewhat in the style of the Roman aqueducts. When implemented this design was moderately successful, producing a respectable score. However significant stress was put on the center of the bridge, which led us to add a central pillar to it. This actually made the design much worse as all the force was concentrated on that one support. We went into the merger of the squads with that design.


When the two squads got together to figure out a final design

  • Best overall design:

Bestdesignsofar2.jpg


← Back to Bridge Section project page ←