Team Wharton B
Team Wharton B designed a framed parachute in order to maximize the time the tennis ball spent in the air after they dropped it.
When they dropped it from the second story of Hicks, it had a drop time of 4.84 ± .02 seconds.
We started brainstorming ideas as soon as we got our materials. We first discussed making a triangular glider or kite, with the three dowels joined at the one end (braced by the plastic container and flared out at the other, then covered with the opened plastic bag). We hoped that a glider would look and act like a paper airplane, falling slowly by catching air currents as it moved forward, instead of just falling. However, we realized that the glider would need horizontal motion to get started - we would have to throw it, not drop it. Without a horizontal impetus, it seemed likely to fall nose-down, very fast. We discussed compensating for this by distributing the weight of the tennis ball further back, to pull the back of the glider down and keep it horizontal. This, however, would have required a lot of trial-and-error adjustments to distribute the weight correctly, possibly damaging our materials in the process. It might also not have worked at all.
Deciding that a glider was too risky to attempt, we settled on a parachute design. It would have a wooden frame to keep the parachute open as wide as possible and to hold the tennis ball. After considering several possible configurations the for the dowels, we settled on an H-shape, to maximize the surface area. We then decided to open the sides of the plastic bag and pleat the edges. Pleated and attached to the frame, the bag would poof out when dropped. This would make it catch as much air as possible. The tennis ball would hang underneath the apparatus, stabilizing the apparatus. We thought about cutting the tennis ball up to distribute its weight farther out to the sides of the frame, but felt that it wouldn't really gain us anything. At this point, we intended to use the red drawstring from the plastic bag as string, and to supplement it with twisted tape. During the building process, however, we concluded that the drawstring would be better used reinforcing the frame, and that it was simpler and more effective to fold the tape instead of twisting it.
Our first order of business was to cut open the plastic trash bag and reinforce it with tape in a grid pattern. This kept the plastic from sticking to itself, strengthened the parachute, and encouraged it to open and fill rapidly and completely when dropped. At the same time, we cut the bottom piece of the plastic container in half, for use in reinforcing the frame's joints. Our greatest worry was that the frame might twist, making the parachute unbalanced. The plastic semi-circles would make it more structurally sound.
We modified the plastic braces to fit properly and attached them. We then proceeded to attach the red draw-strings from the trash bag to the wooden frame. This gave it another two sides, and added stability and strength. Finally, we attached the pleated trash bag to the frame and suspended the tennis ball from the whole thing using folded over tape as string.
Back to Ball Drop page.