Before Team α and Team Ω met as Team K, they independently thought of very similar ideas for their robot armj designs. Both teams felt that rounding either the shorter knotch in the robot arm or both knotches in the robot arm would be a positive way to reduce mass and redistribute forces, resulting in less stress.
After hearing about the first commercial jet liner, the De Havilland Comet, in class, neither Team α and Team Ω wanted to use sharply angled cuts. The De Havilland's square-cut windows gathered immense stress. This approach to the robot arm did not appear optimal. Hence, Team α and Team Ω used their separate design times to experiment with extruding rounded cuts.
Team α used the "spline" option to completely remove the side of the robot arm with the shorter knotch, resulting in a curved side. After experimenting with extruding arc slots, circles, and ellipses, they extruded a single ellipse. However, there was not time enough to finalize Team α's design. What resulted had a volume of 1.1 cubic inches and a displacement of .1660 mm, resulting in a scpore of .1826 mm-in³. Below is an image of Team α's final robot arm
Team Ω had many initial thoughts when meeting. Cosmo and Seth both agreed that circular notches instead of squares would produce more favorable results. Other than this change, everything else was up in the air. We spent most of the given class time adjusting and testing out crazy ideas that might work and becoming more in fluent with SolidWorks. We did not come up with a finalized design before we met with the other team. With this being said, the resulting design had a mass of X and a displacement of Y, and a final score of Z.
When members Seth, Cosmo, and Olivia met on Saturday morning as Team K, they initially spent time separated, experimenting individually.
Thinking of how circular cuts were safer, Olivia experimented further with the placement and sizing of arc slots, circles, and ellipses within the robot arm. She also determined that chamfering or filleting the edges of the cuts and of the arm itself were an easy way to reduce the overall volume of the arm.
It became clear that Cosmo's work was the most developed.