Team L

From ENGR005_2012
Jump to: navigation, search

Members

Helen Thum

Raundi Quevedo

Daniel Redelmeier

Gustavo Garibay

First Designs

Helen and Raundi

Helen and Raundi.jpg


Design Score

Mass: 1.06

Displacement: 0.6021

Score: 0.6382


We first tried cutting some parallelograms and noticed that sharp edges created more stress. We added circles (thus the bone looking images) to lower the stresses. We then noticed that an elongated ellipse allowed us to remove more matter without creating a great amount of stress. The shape of the circle and the ellipse were the "best" shapes used, since their smooth or non-existant angles did not allow much stress to build.

Gustavo and Daniel

Gustavo and Daniel.jpg


Design Score

Mass: 0.99

Displacement: 0.1269

Score: 0.1256

Following Professor Cheever's advice on rounding edges to minimize the concentration of stress, we started off by double-filleting the inward cuts of the template design. We then ran a test to determine areas with little stress and extruded circles and elipses in those areas. We also planned to fillet the edges of those circles.

Final Design

Model and Score

Final Design Team L.jpg



Mass: 0.97

Displacement: 0.1279

Score: 0.124063 or 0.12 (2SF)

How we got there

When we compared the results, we noticed that Gustavo and Daniel's model had much less stress on it. We played around with shapes but both groups agreed to maintain an ellipse in the center. We then tried to remove more mass but that only increased the displacement level. We thus decided to maintain this shape and this mass that offered a favourable result.