The Phoenix

From ENGR005_2012
Revision as of 22:39, 16 December 2012 by Aguarin1 (Talk | contribs) (Solidworks Design)

Jump to: navigation, search

This is the final report page for the work done by team Phoenix Chavez (Gustavo Garibay & Ascanio Guarini). Our project was to design a phoenix reminiscent of Phineas the Phoenix (Swarthmore's Mascot) and 3D print the final design. The main issues we encountered were related to improperly connected design elements or printer-related issues. Overall, the final results were satisfactory, although we hope for one final print to come out.

Introduction & Final Design Changes

For this project we designed and printed a phoenix modeled after Swarthmore's mascot, Phineas the Phoenix. Our main design and production medium was Solidworks, which allowed for us to easily 3D print our design and iron out any issues with each step in the design process. Originally we aimed to design a phoenix modeled after the Cesar Chavez flag as noted in our project proposal (Project Proposal for the Phoenix), and the goal was to create something tangible that we would enjoy designing. In addition, this project allowed us to further our understanding of Solidworks, which will prove useful in further engineering courses.

Overall, the final design was very different from what we had originally planned. First of all, we decided not to use the machine shop, as we did not have the necessary expertise to build what we wanted and the time frame was slightly strained. In addition, we decided to create a more rounded design to create a more aesthetically pleasing final result. The curves created a slightly more realistic model and also required more manipulation in Solidworks.

Solidworks Design

The main Solidworks design relied on a few key elements. The main design elements used were mirroring, filleting, rotations, and extrusions. Mirroring allowed us to create multiple, symmetrical parts throughout the model.

Figure 1: Top view of the first design iteration showing mirroring of the wings

The main areas which were mirrored were the eyes, feet, wings, and beak, shown partially in Figure 1. Most edged surfaces were filleted, including the wings, beak, and feet. The textured effect in the "feathers" was achieved by filleting twice. This effect is shown in Figure 2.

Figure 2: Frontal view of initial design


Discussion & Conclusions