From Diversifying Economic Quality: A Wiki for Instructors and Departments
|(3 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
|Line 91:||Line 91:|
==== Journal articles on racial disparities ====
==== Journal articles on racial disparities ====
These links present lists of the articles
These links present lists of the articles race and racial disparities, which have been published in top economics journals over the last ten years or so. The editors of these journals volunteered to take inventories of their journals' publications on race in June 2020. (Each editor used slightly different criteria in developing their list of relevant papers.)
*[:.American Economic Journal:Applied]
*[:.American Economic Journal: Economic Policy]
*[:.American Economic Review]
*[:.Journal of Economic Perspectives]
*[:.The Review of Economics and Statistics]
Latest revision as of 08:12, 6 July 2021
Learn about the history of race and anti-Black racism in the U.S. through these works suggested by our colleagues and students.
- Alexander, Michelle. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. The New Press, 2020.
- Anderson, Carol. White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of our Racial Divide. Bloomsbury Publishing USA, 2016.
- Baradaran, Mehrsa. The Color of Money: Black Banks and the Racial Wealth Gap. Harvard University Press, 2017.
- Benjamin, Ruha. Race after Technology: Abolitionist Tools for the New Jim Code. John Wiley & Sons, 2019.
- Coates, Ta-Nehisi. Between the World and Me. One World, 2015.
- Darity Jr, William A., and A. Kirsten Mullen. From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century. UNC Press, 2020.
- DiAngelo, Robin. White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism. Beacon Press, 2018.
- Fanon, Frantz. The Wretched of the Earth. Grove/Atlantic, Inc., 2007.
- Flynn, Andrea, Susan R. Holmberg, Dorian T. Warren, and Felicia J. Wong. The Hidden Rules of Race: Barriers to an Inclusive Economy. Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Kendi, Ibram X. How to be an Antiracist. One World/Ballantine, 2019.
- Kendi, Ibram X. Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America. Random House, 2017.
- Oluo, Ijeoma. So You Want to Talk about Race. Seal Press, 2019.
- Rothstein, Richard. The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America. W.W. Norton & Company, 2017.
- Zambrana, Ruth Enid. Toxic Ivory Towers: The Consequences of Work Stress on Underrepresented Minority Faculty. Rutgers University Press, 2018.
Articles and Reports
- Coates, Ta-Nehisi. The case for reparations. The Atlantic 313, no. 5 (2014): 54-71.
- Cook, Lisa D. Violence and economic activity: evidence from African American patents, 1870–1940. Journal of Economic Growth 19, no. 2 (2014): 221-257.
- Gould, Elise, and Valerie Wilson. Black workers face two of the most lethal preexisting conditions for coronavirus—racism and economic inequality. EPI Report. June 2020.
- Hannah-Jones, Nikole, and Mary N. Elliott, eds. The 1619 Project. New York Times, 2019.
- <many in the Review of Black Political Economy>
- <three popular press articles that spoke to a colleague personally: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/opinion/police-killings-black-mental-health.html, https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-black-professionals-unrest-lays-bare-a-balancing-act-at-work-11591202955, https://time.com/5848269/moms-equal-pay-day/ >
- I Am Not Your Negro, a 2016 documentary film directed by Raoul Peck and based on James Baldwin's unfinished manuscript Remember This House
- Just Mercy, a 2019 American legal drama film directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, based on the memoir and work by Bryan Stevenson
- Selma, a 2014 historical drama film directed by Ava DuVernay and written by Paul Webb
- 13th, a 2016 documentary by director Ava DuVernay tracing the history of race, slavery, and incarceration in the United States
- #Charlestonsyllabus from the African American Intellectual History Society
AEA resources on race in the economics profession
- AEA Professional Climate Survey: Final Report and summaries: It was a Mistake for Me to Choose This Field, (Professional) Climate Change
- AEA Best Practices for Economists: Offers concrete, evidence-based steps to build a more diverse, inclusive, and productive profession
Journal articles on racial disparities
These links present lists of the articles on race and racial disparities, which have been published in top economics journals over the last ten years or so. The editors of these journals volunteered to take inventories of their journals' publications on race in June 2020. (Each editor used slightly different criteria in developing their list of relevant papers.)
- American Economic Journal:Applied
- American Economic Journal: Economic Policy
- American Economic Review
- Journal of Economic Perspectives
- The Review of Economics and Statistics