Difference between revisions of "Meaningful content"
From Diversifying Economic Quality: A Wiki for Instructors and Departments
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
*Create space, but don’t assume certain topics are women’s issues.
*Create space , but don’t assume certain topics are women’s issues.
Revision as of 10:46, 13 February 2016
Offer meaningful content in all courses.
Provide opportunities for students to use economics to examine issues important to them. e.g.,
- The intro course, especially, should link to students’ existing knowledge and experiences.
- Regularly connect intermediate theory course material to real problems.
- Ask students to connect a new concept, such as opportunity cost or marginal benefit, to a setting meaningful to them.
- Use some class time to present brief summaries of a wide range of empirical studies in economics.
- Create space for a range of interests, but don’t assume certain topics are women’s issues.