The characters in the Miskito language closely resemble the Spanish alphabet, with a few exceptions. There are a few accented characters we needed to capture in our keyboard layout. Specifically, we need to capture characters with (ˆ), (´), (˜), and (`) accents on the vowels (a, e, i, o, u/A, E, I, O, U). In our designed layout, we began using the standard keyboard layout used in English. As vowels and consonants are the same between English and Miskito, we figured the frequency distribution of letters might be similar. Additionally, users are accustomed to the English keyboard layout, so minimizing the number of changes we make to accommodate the Miskito language will make it easier for them to make the transition.
We make the following changes so our keyboard is compatible with the Miskito language:
- ◌~ + n = ñ
- ◌` + A,E,I,O,U,a,e,i,o,u = Á,É,Í,Ó,Ú,á,é,í,ó,ú
To install the keyboard, follow the steps provided here:
1. Install miq keyboard.klc from this Github repository
2. Find the directory where the file is saved with command prompt and enter:
sudo cp miq keyboard.klc.keylayout /Library/Keyboard\ Layouts/
3. Turn your computer off and on
4. In keyboard input settings, select Miskito.
The license for this keyboard can be found here