Difference between revisions of "User:Twarner2/Final project"

From LING073
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "==What I Did== ==Evaluation== ==Link==")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
==What I Did==
 
==What I Did==
 
+
For my final project I chose to work on the UD annotatrix (linked below) and improve a few features. I chose the following 5 tasks to work on in trying to improve some of the functionality:
 +
* Merging of Github repositories
 +
** Copying over of new files from the UD repository
 +
* Cleanup of the main HTML file
 +
** Making the layout of the file nicer
 +
** Extradition of the script into a new file <code>body.js</code>
 +
* Working with connection over HTTPS
 +
** Changed absolute URL's to protocol-agnostic ones by appending the domain and pathname of the queried page to whatever protocol is in the current URL
 +
* Loading text from the URL
 +
** Sentences can now be loaded as the query part of the URL, with words separated by +'s
 +
** '''NB:''' For some reason, the dependency tree doesn't generate immediately; you need to press a key to trigger the update called by the release of a key
 +
*** Even though I call keyUpFunc at the end of checking for queries in the URL
 +
* More accommodating parsing of sentences
  
 
==Evaluation==
 
==Evaluation==
 
+
The merging and cleanup tasks are pretty trivial to evaluate. The cleanup of the HTML file makes a little more sense now than it did to have a script written inside a '''<script>...</script>''' section, but nothing game-changing.<br/>
 +
The HTTPS functionality is an extremely helpful functionality to have, because since new Github pages are forced HTTPS connection (as opposed to pre-2015, which are optional), any relatively new Github user who forks the repository would have been previously unable to test any changes. Even more importantly (and in conjunction with the URL reading functionality), the link to an example dependency sentence can be universally and reliably sent.<br/>
 +
The loading of sentence(s) from the URL
  
 
==Link==
 
==Link==

Revision as of 19:42, 9 May 2017

What I Did

For my final project I chose to work on the UD annotatrix (linked below) and improve a few features. I chose the following 5 tasks to work on in trying to improve some of the functionality:

  • Merging of Github repositories
    • Copying over of new files from the UD repository
  • Cleanup of the main HTML file
    • Making the layout of the file nicer
    • Extradition of the script into a new file body.js
  • Working with connection over HTTPS
    • Changed absolute URL's to protocol-agnostic ones by appending the domain and pathname of the queried page to whatever protocol is in the current URL
  • Loading text from the URL
    • Sentences can now be loaded as the query part of the URL, with words separated by +'s
    • NB: For some reason, the dependency tree doesn't generate immediately; you need to press a key to trigger the update called by the release of a key
      • Even though I call keyUpFunc at the end of checking for queries in the URL
  • More accommodating parsing of sentences

Evaluation

The merging and cleanup tasks are pretty trivial to evaluate. The cleanup of the HTML file makes a little more sense now than it did to have a script written inside a <script>...</script> section, but nothing game-changing.
The HTTPS functionality is an extremely helpful functionality to have, because since new Github pages are forced HTTPS connection (as opposed to pre-2015, which are optional), any relatively new Github user who forks the repository would have been previously unable to test any changes. Even more importantly (and in conjunction with the URL reading functionality), the link to an example dependency sentence can be universally and reliably sent.
The loading of sentence(s) from the URL

Link