Notes on upgrading observatory computer to Windows 10, Summer 2020
Just as we did for the upgrade of the computer from Windows XP to Windows 7 in 2012, this page is to document the process of installing a new computer in the observatory, and noting any steps we need to take or problems we encountered. It is mostly for our own internal records, but perhaps it could help someone else installing observatory software as well.
- Installed UltraVNC on both old and new computers so we can transfer files easily via VNC.
- Installed ASCOM platform 6.5 from here.
- As part of that installation, I found that the system required me to enable Microsoft .NET 3.5. Ultimately that only worked when logged in to my normal user account, not the telescope account; probably related to trying to contact the local Windows Update server, but not being logged into the Swarthmore domain.
Hardware / system settings
- Formatted D: drive as NTFS, named as "Telescope data".
To consider for later
- Windows subsystem for Linux (enable via Control Panel - turn on features
- Anaconda Python distribution