Notes on upgrading observatory computer to Windows 7
This page is to document our upgrade to a new observatory computer with Windows 7. The original machine used to control the telescope (from commissioning in 2009 through summer of 2012) ran Windows XP. So there may be some issues encountered in the upgrade. Thorough documentation here should (hopefully) help with next time we need to upgrade hardware or software.
Initial testing was done with the same computer, but with a fresh Windows 7 install on a separate disk; so not everything in the first section may be completely the same with the new computer. (Eric Jensen, July 12-13 2012)
Ports / connectivity
- The Icron Ranger 2104 (4-port USB hub over ethernet) just worked - no installation of drivers needed. Plugged in a flash drive in the USB hub to test.
- The Edgeport/4 (USB-serial converter), plugged into the Icron hub, did not work initially. Windows could see the device, but Device Manager said that drivers were not installed. Clicking on "Update drivers" and then "search for drivers" found and installed the necessary drivers without incident, and then it started working. COM ports showed up in Device Manager. There is a standalone application that can configure the device to map its ports to particular COM port numbers if it's necessary to change these. (Should check current XP install to see what the mapping is.) The TCC is set to use COM 4.
Current software / settings
In our current (Win XP) installation, we are running the following:
- TCC version 1.5.26. This is the current version as of July 2012, per RCOS support forum It is configured to use COM 4. (Looks like the last full installer there is 1.5.17, so probably need to install that first, then download and copy over just the 1.5.26 RCOS-ae.exe file.
- TheSky is major version 6, specifically 188.8.131.52. The telescope is configured in TheSky as a Paramount ME, using port COM 6.
- Digital Dome Works is version 5.2, revision date 12/02/2008, set up to use COM 5. It is available for download here.
- MaximDL is version 5.18. This is the current version as of 7/13/2012, and we currently *do* have an active license for updates to it, through September 2012.
Notes for updating
- TheSky 6: