When you complete a task, do not delete it! Mark it with strike-through (see example below) and add your name and date after it.
Make a to-do list on the wiki.Completed 2010-05-27, Eric.
Telescope software tasks
- Install Dimension 4 software to improve clock accuracy on observatory PC. See Eastman et al. 2010 for more details on precise timekeeping.
- Install JSkyCalc on control room computer. (More info on using it at AstroBetter.)
- Edit local file to add our observatory coordinates as described here.
- After that file is created, let Eric know and we'll also install on the Linux machines.
- Install latest version of FocusMax software (3.4.40) - it's on the Y: drive mapped to the PC.
- Preparations for mapping run to improve the telescope pointing model.
- Download and install the full version of PinPoint. Eric - this should be registered in my name.
- Download and install AAG TPointMapper
- Download and install USNO A2.0 catalog for use by PinPoint as described here.
Improving telescope operations
- Do a substantial (> 100 point) point run using AAG TPointMapper.
- Use FocusMax software to automate focusing of the imaging camera.
- Read background info on its operation.
- Set up FocusMax to link to TCC focuser.
- Do calibration runs to set up V curves for our system.
- Change MaximDL settings to link to FocusMax hub, which then links to the focuser/TCC. Save this configuration (under Apogee/Photometry).
- Continue to work on Autoguiding improvements - especially the optimal Dec backlash setting.
- Investigate and document whether or not slow warm-up of the CCD is necessary. Jean
- Create and save some Auto sequences in MaximDL to facilitate running a series of bias and dark frames before or after a run.
- Reinforce flat-field screen and hang in dome.
- Document procedure for dome flats.
- Install and test out plug-in for automating sky flats.
Documenting telescope operations
- Create a page on Autoguiding to document what we learn about best settings for autoguiding.
- Download available manuals for the eShel spectrograph and put on our Documentation page.
- Put MaximDL documentation (or links to it) on Documentation page.
Photometric light curve improvements
- Write scripts to streamline data reduction (bias, flat, etc.)
- Write or find scripts to streamline photometry and creating light curves.
- Investigate optimal use of multiple comparison stars, e.g. approaches of Southworth et al. 2009 or Broeg et al. 2005.
Possible future improvements
- Possible automation of dome opening/closing?
- Install weather station / cloud sensor?
- Observatory automation with ACP, CCD AutoPilot, or CCD Commander?
- Install eShel spectrograph.