Connecting to OFTC using Matrix
OFTC is the Open and Free Technology Community, and hosts IRC channels for many FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) organisations.
Matrix is an open network for secure, decentralized communication.
Matrix allows for bridges to IRC networks, and has much more "modern" clients (like Element) than IRC.
Get a client
First get a Matrix client and create a nickname. You can use the web client (https://element.io), and set up an account there, and continue to use it. Alternatively, after you set up your account, you can install Element for your preferred desktop or mobile platform. There are also Matrix plugins for other chat clients, like pidgin and weechat.
Using the bridge
Registering your nick
- From you Matrix client, start a chat with the OFTC NickServ,
- Send the following message in the chat:
register [password] [email]
- Click the link to verify your account and complete the CAPTCHA.
- (optional) If you have another account on OFTC, you can link the nicks by sending the message
link [OFTC nick] [password]
Identifying your nick
- You might need to type
identify [password]to NickServ
Joining a channel
- Join the channel
- Currently in Element you need to click "Add Rooms" (plus sign) and then "Explore Public Rooms" to be able to type this.