Athena Basu's Language Selection Lab
I'd like to work with Rowan Orlijan-Rhyne and possibly a third person who has a deeper linguistics background.
- Morphological Typology: agglutinative?
- Number of speakers: 5-10 million
- Region: West Africa (Snegal, Mauritania, Gambia)
- Other languages used by speakers: maybe French and Arabic
- Orthography: primarily Latin, but also Arabic and Garay
- ISO Code: wol
- Sources: There are over 1,000 pages written in Wolof on wikipedia. There is also a bible translation in Wolof. There should be no trouble finding corpora.
- Morphological Typology: Synthetic?
- Number of speakers: 3 million
- Region: Bali and surrounding regions in Indonesia
- Other languages used by speakers: maybe Indonesian
- Orthography: Balinese script. There is also a Latin Orthography
- ISO Code: ban
- Sources: There should be resources available for this language. There seems to be a (partial?) Bible translation in Balinese.
Morphological Typology: I am uncertain.
- Number of speakers: approximately 1.8 million native speakers
- Region: Primarily Myanmar and Bangladesh
- Other languages used by speakers: maybe Burmese
- Orthography: Hanifi Rohingya Script
- ISO Code: rhg
- Sources: There seem to be a number of sample texts listed in the wikipedia, as well as videos of people speaking the language.